In case you don’t know me, that’s me to the right, there. Except for when I’m busy writing, and I’ve forgotten to shave and am looking all dark and broody (see below). But who is Dave Holton, really? Well, existentially speaking, who knows. But characters define themselves by their actions in any decent story, so let’s take a quick look at my track record.
I’ve got a mish-mash background that includes: a degree in Civil Engineering from NC State; several years of project management and engineering on bridge construction projects; a professional engineer’s license; an MBA from UNC; and a few years of consulting in the US, Germany, and Mexico for Fortune 500 CEOs on logistics and strategy.
But I’ve always been a writer, from the early days of crafting stories as a kid for my grandmother to read, to sneaking off for classes in creative writing on the side as I studied civil engineering and business, and finally to waking at 4 a.m. to write stories during the “professional years.”
A few years ago, I left the suit-and-tie life behind to write stories and make films full-time (though I do still know how to tie a tie, thank you very much). I earned a Certificate in Film Production from UCLA Extension and then spent several years producing films and reading scripts for clients including Amazon Studios and The Tracking Board.
Recently, I packed up and returned to my beautiful, island hometown of Manteo, North Carolina, to focus on writing. I’ve since written for several publications as I’ve worked to develop my library of creative work. In addition to nonfiction work, I write screenplays, poetry, stage plays, prose short stories, and I have a novel in progress.
If you would like to know more…
… and you enjoy bullet points – and I mean, who doesn’t, right? – then read on for more about my work and possible services. Perhaps I might be able to help you on one of your projects or ideas, and I’d welcome the opportunity to talk shop with you!
Recent film work:
- Produced and Assistant Directed WWE mockumentary “Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling” that now has nearly 3 million views on YouTube.
- Produced web series “Friendless Five” distributed in 2016 by Fullscreen and DirecTV.
- Produced short film “Broken Wings” now available on Amazon Video.
- Produced innovative short film “Vain” for 360 VR platforms, showing at 8 film festivals worldwide.
- Project Coordinated feature film “Doomsday Device.”
- Assistant Directed all background actors on the music video “One Last Time” for Ariana Grande.
Recent writing work:
- Wrote an upcoming multi-page feature article for “Milepost Magazine” fall ’17 print magazine.
- Wrote 12 full- and multi-page advertorials and 5 half-page ads for “Outer Banks This Week” summer and fall ’17 print and digital magazines.
- Wrote feature screenplay “Dragon” that finished top 10% in the 2016 PAGE Awards international screenplay contest.
- Read feature scripts and novels for Amazon Studios and judged entries for The Tracking Board and other highly-regarded contests – analyzed and appraised hundreds of stories for development and production potential.
Services I offer:
Nonfiction Writing – Writing feature articles, shorts, essays, editorials, blogs, bios, and more! If it needs writing, I’m interested!
Developmental Editing and Publishing – Will guide the development of your nonfiction or fiction work from start to finish. Consulting on book proposals.
Marketing Copy and Consulting – Writing advertisements and advertorials. Consulting on marketing and business strategy.
Prose Fiction and Screenplay Writing – Writing, editing, co-writing, and story consulting services available.
Film, Television and Digital Video Production – Producing and project management at all stages from idea to execution and delivery. Production services in the role of Line Producer, Assistant Director, Production Manager, and Production Coordinator.
Speaking and Teaching Engagements – Creative writing, filmmaking, business, project management and their intersections, and taking a non-traditional approach.
And much more!
Please reach out and let’s see how I can help you out.
Thanks for visiting!
P.S. For snippets of my life and work and pictures of me actually smiling, please connect with me on Instagram at @iamdaveholton!