Once labeled as “too creative” on an end-of-project peer evaluation (a rather backhanded compliment from a strictly-by-the-numbers coworker), Dave Holton has always been a difficult creature to categorize.
Growing up on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, Dave spent his early years traveling to math competitions & astronomy camps & writing & directing backyard theatrical productions starring the neighborhood kids—with real pyrotechnics & everything! Later, as an undergrad pursuing a Bachelor’s of Science in Civil Engineering, Dave hiked his way across campus to the English Department & enrolled himself in fiction, poetry, & drama writing courses—courses that counted not a whit toward his degree.
In 2014, after nearly a decade of waking up at 4 a.m. to write stories before heading to day jobs as a field engineer or a management consultant, Dave decided to flip the script, so to speak. He put his business, problem-solving, & project management experience & education to work supporting his creative ambitions, instead of the other way around.
Now, as a freelance writer & creative producer, Dave has collaborated with an eclectic array of creators, writers, directors, actors, crews, & social media influencers to develop, produce, & deliver projects ranging from digital shorts to feature films to virtual reality. Dave has often served dual roles on productions, first working as a creative producer to shepherd the project from idea to execution, then shifting over into production roles to help manage the day-to-day delivery of the project, & finally transitioning back into the producer role to market the final product—seeking out innovative ways to engage audiences that would love the work & spread the word.
Dave is always on the lookout for opportunities to put both his analytical, management mind & his creative mind to work. Please reach out if you have a writing or production need that you would like to discuss. But please be warned… at times, Dave Holton has been known to be, at times, a bit “too creative.”
- Wrote feature screenplay that finished top 10% in the PAGE Awards & top 15% in Scriptapalooza (both considered to be among the top international screenplay competitions).
- Wrote multi-page feature articles & humorous poetry for “Milepost Magazine” 2017 & 2018 quarterly print editions, & feature-length advertorials & half-page ads for “Outer Banks This Week” 2017 & 2018 quarterly print & ongoing digital editions.
- Read & wrote coverage on hundreds of feature film screenplays for Amazon Studios as an ongoing contractor for nearly two years, appraising story & execution for development & production potential.
- Judged several hundred film & television entries for The Tracking Board & Fresh Voices screenwriting & TV writing contests.
- Produced & Assistant Directed 25-minute mockumentary “Wrestling Isn’t Wrestling” that now has over 3 million views on YouTube.
- Produced season one of web series “Friendless Five,” distributed in 2016 by Fullscreen & DirecTV.
- Produced short film “Broken Wings” available on Amazon Video.
- Produced innovative short film “Vain” for 360 Virtual Reality platforms, which exhibited at film festivals worldwide.
- Project Coordinated full-length feature film “Doomsday Device.”
- Assistant Directed all background actors on the music video “One Last Time” for Ariana Grande.
- Earned a Certificate in Producing for Film, Television, & New Media from UCLA’s Extension School, graduating “With Distinction.”
- Spent 2 years in Management Consulting (projects in marketing & sales, logistics, & business strategy) with Fortune 500 companies (DHL, Lenovo Computers, Procter & Gamble) in the US, Germany, the Netherlands, & Mexico. Also assisted in Hiring & Sales.
- Earned a Master’s Degree in Business from University of North Carolina’s Kenan-Flagler Business School, graduating as a “Dean’s Scholar” in the top 5% of his class, focusing his studies on Marketing, Sales, & Entrepreneurship.
- Spent 4 years in Infrastructure Project Management – built bridges in Pensacola, FL & in Rehoboth Beach, DE, & worked on several other multi-million dollar projects. Earned Professional Engineering Licence in North Carolina.
- Earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from North Carolina State University, graduating Magna Cum Laude.
Learn More & Connect:
Please see Dave’s LinkedIn page for more info on his diverse array of experience, education, & skills, & please do not hesitate to contact Dave if you would like to discuss possible collaborations or opportunities.
Y una cosa más … ¡Él también habla español, si eso ayuda de alguna manera!